Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish!
I love this week's topic, because I had a draft post called How I'm A Bad Reader - so I decided to shove those into this post!
Top Ten Bookish Confessions
Don't hate me. I'm aware these are horrible.
1. If I really love a book, I stop reading it when I get near the end or to a particularly tense, eventful moment. I love it so much, I don't want it to end or to go through that emotional turmoil. I know, ridiculous - if I love it, I should want to devour it! But I just stop. For days. Which is why For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund took me a week to read (I couldn't. I just couldn't.), and why I have literally been reading Throne of Glass for a month. I don't want it to end! I can't!
2. I rarely read chapter breaks/titles. I don't know why, but I tend to not see them. I've tried to break the habit because they're such fabulous elements to a story, but it's difficult. From What I Remember by Stacy Kramer + Valerie Wilson was one book where I definitely tried hard, because fun movie quotes precede every chapter!
3. Following an author on Twitter has made me not want to read his/her book. No, I will not name the name(s). Conversely, however, following authors has also made me push their books higher on my TBR List. Most recently, Dan Krokos' False Memory. I've heard great things so I wanted to read it anyway, but after this tweet...I'm kind of in love with him, and now must read this book as fast as possible. (Number two on the wait list at my library!)
4. I purposely leave John Green's The Fault in Our Stars out of favourite/best of lists. That book is an emotion, it is an experience, and I don't believe I could ever rate it.
5. I tend not to read series until they're done, because I'm horrifically impatient. A few series I have not started: Delirium by Lauren Oliver, Divergent by Veronica Roth, Unearthly by Cynthia Hand, Graceling by Kristen Cashore. I didn't read The Hunger Games until Mockingjay was released, and I am so glad I did that - no way could I have waited! And I didn't know The Mortal Instruments was still going when I picked it up all those years ago, else you can bet your buttons I wouldn't have started it yet!
6. I leave books in humid places. Hello wrinkly pages! I also put books in my purse. I know it risks damaging the corners or spine, but it's just too convenient!
7. I have a major pet peeve regarding bookish tweets: when people are pimping their review with a quote from their writing, and it goes something like "A stellar cast of characters and an even better plotline...i highly recommend!" If you're saying the book is so amazing and stellar already, isn't it implied you recommend it?! It feels like a waste of characters, and when there's only 140...it's precious space. I'm aware I'm being irrationally harsh.
8. I still haven't read Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins. I KNOW.
9. I've only read 2 ARCs from ALA. (Three as soon as I finally finish Throne of Glass.) I know! I'm terrible! But I have leant out 17 of them to fellow readers/bloggers, so there's that.
10. I leave post-its on my favourite passages in library books. While not necessarily a bad thing, I always feel like I'm kind of spoiling it for the next reader by pointing out great quotes - but I can't help it! I write little notes on the post-it too, usually something that goes along with the words or something encouraging. Should I stop that? Would you hate that if you were a reader?
Ah, I feel a weight taken off my shoulders!
What are your bookish confessions?
Leave your link and I'll hop by!
PS. Have you entered my awesome giveaways yet?
> Follower Appreciation: THE DIVINERS, LEGEND, or THRONE OF GLASS for the US followers, and any book from the TBD for Internationals!
> Finished paperback of Temptation by Karen Ann Hopkins, open WORLDWIDE!
> House of Shadows by Rachel Neumeier - US/Can only.